Position: Accounting Officer
Location: Montréal or Toronto
Supervisor: Director, Finance and Administration
Position Type: Full-Time, permanent
Language: English and French
Travel: Infrequent travel within and outside of Canada
Hiring Range: $48,056 to $50,459
Job Requirement: Must be able to work in Canada
Closing Date: August 16, 2022 at 5PM EST
The Accounting Officer is an integral part of the Finance and Administrative team. Crossroads International is seeking an individual who can take ownership of the Accounts Payable subledger with responsibilities including processing financial transactions relating to the accounts payable cycle, maintaining vendor records and relations, performing various general ledger reconciliations (including bank reconciliations) and processing journal entries as part of the monthly and annual financial close process. This position is a key contact for Crossroads’ African offices and provides cross-functional support across the organization for the administrative function.
- Ensures all areas of responsibility are carried out in compliance with the organization’s mission, values, policies and procedures, standards and systems
- Works in partnership with finance members across all offices to coordinate and ensure smooth day-to-day financial operations
- Works in close collaboration with members of the finance and administrative team and cross-functional teams to achieve organizational goals as set forth in the strategic and operational plans
- Management of Accounts Payable (65%)
- Process Canadian electronic payments, including review payment authorization as per the Organization’s policies, in a timely manner
- Enter Accounts Payable (AP) invoices and payments into Financial Edge
- Maintain AP subledger, ensuring completeness of supporting documentation attached in Financial Edge
- Review and process credit card reconciliations, including supporting documentation, in a timely manner
- Communicate with vendors/suppliers on Crossroads accounts and/or payments, as required
- Provide internal training on functions related to role including AP processes and the Chart of Accounts
- Management of Accounts Receivable (10%)
- Reconcile Canadian Accounts Receivable (AR) and Advances accounts on a timely basis
- Consolidate reconciliation data provided by Crossroads’ regional offices
- Maintain and follow-up on the contents of AR and Advance accounts to ensure accuracy and clarity
- Treasury (10%)
- Monitor daily bank balance in Canadian accounts, and process transfer requests, based on anticipated cashflow needs
- Complete bank reconciliations for Canadian accounts within month end timelines
- Complete revenue reconciliation between Raisers’ Edge and Financial Edge
- File HST / QST / GST remittances
- Financial Reporting (5%)
- Maintain records for prepaid expenses, including monthly recognition of expenses
- Support with the preparation of standard month end entries as part of the monthly and annual financial statement close process, as well as other journal entries as assigned
- Support internal and external reporting requirements, including funder reports, Board and Finance Committee reports and the external audit process as assigned
- Business Process Enhancement (5%)
- Identify areas for improvement and recommend revised procedures where warranted, particularly with respect to financial controls
- Communicate and enforce internal and external policies and procedures to all departments and offices; provide training to department staff, as required
- Support the development and implementation of financial projects, including systems enhancements and implementations
- Administration and Other Duties (5%)
- Prepare payment requests for purchases made within the finance and administrative cost centres for approval
- Prepare departmental credit card reconciliation for approval
- Participate as member of the finance and administrative team which collaborates in providing support across all offices in Canada and Africa
- Support organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum language requirements:
- English (advanced)
- French preferred (intermediate to advanced)
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Accounting, Business Administration or relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two (2) years of full cycle accounting experience in a computerized environment
- Knowledge and experience in applying relevant accounting principles (Canadian GAAP)
- Previous experience within a not-for-profit environment is an asset; interest in international development and/or volunteer organizations preferred
- Proficiency in MS Excel; experience with Financial Edge preferred
- Commitment to growth, development and personal leadership
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, women’s rights, diversity and empowerment
- Demonstrated initiative and effectiveness in prioritizing actions to create maximum results
- Innovative thinking, drive for results and orientation towards solutions
- Client and service orientation
- Strong organizational, communication & interpersonal skills
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency advancing the rights of women and girls in some of the world’s poorest countries. We work in collaboration with local partners to create decent jobs and empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff to apply their expertise to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise, and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s International cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your resume and cover letter in one document (Word or PDF) before 5 pm on August 16th, 2022 by e-mail to [email protected]. Applications must include “Accounting Officer – Your Name” in the subject line of the email. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all candidates in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.