Bilingual Communications and Public Engagement Officer
Together we want to advance the mission of Crossroads International, by building a community of supporters who will empower our ONE WORLD vision where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled. Because of your outstanding qualities in communications and public relations, including expertise in the creation of marketing and communications collateral, we will together increase engagement from all our audiences in order to create a just and equitable world.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Bilingual Communications and Public Engagement Officer is a creative, tech-savvy self-starter with experience in building communities of support on and offline. Working closely with team members from Philanthropy and Public Engagement, the officer develops and implements Crossroads’ public engagement and outreach strategies using various communications tools including the website, social media, video, e-newsletter and manages a variety of online and offline activities. The incumbent will work with the Bilingual Communications Officer to increase awareness of Crossroads International and deepen engagement with new and existing stakeholders including volunteers, alumni, donors, and online supporters.
The role will develop and implement a comprehensive outreach and engagement program with special emphasis on online communications to ignite a movement of Gender Equality Champions of a size, scope and influence that has not yet been seen in Canada. More than ever before, Canadians are taking actions consistent with the values of being a Crossroader, for the #IAMACROSSROADER campaign.
The Communications and Public Engagement Officer uses storytelling techniques to raise Crossroads’ profile and mobilize supporters, is results-oriented with demonstrated experience managing websites and online strategies and also writing and editing online content while actively monitoring current tech trends and benchmarks.
- Develop annual communications plans inclusive of web, social media, donor and volunteer engagement, media relations, and other digital and offline strategies
- Develop and implement comprehensive content management for the website and social media and engage other online tools by producing editorial schedules to deliver approved content
- Develop online and offline marketing strategies and manage campaigns to attract donors, supporters, and volunteers
- Collaborate with marketing agencies and partners in implementing Crossroads’ annual strategy
- Consistently apply Crossroads’ brand; produce key messaging; Q&A and background materials
- Write, edit and coordinate translation of web and online content
- Manage and lead ongoing development of Crossroads’ website and online strategies including e-newsletter, video integration, online fundraising, education, and advocacy campaigns
- Establish maintenance schedules and protocols and manage day-to-day site maintenance ensuring navigation, search engine optimization and browser compatibility, etc.
- Marketing/Social Media/Stakeholder engagement
- Spearhead and manage production of creative print and online and offline content and advertising, including high-impact ads, banners, podcasts, and videos
- Design, initiate and manage social media strategies and other online initiatives
- Organize and facilitate online and in-person events such as training, media events, meetings, and public outreach campaigns to engage stakeholders
- Collaborate with philanthropic team to design and manage digital engagement campaigns
- Monitor local and international news and share with the staff as relevant
- Build relationships with local partners in Africa and Canada, other Volunteer Cooperation Agencies, beneficiaries, volunteers, supporters, and staff
- Edit and produce consistent and compelling video content with Crossroads’ stakeholders
- Develop and implement strategy to acquire strong visual images of Crossroads’ volunteers, partners, and beneficiaries in Africa
- Maintain online photo/video library ensuring the correct labelling of uploads etc.
- Develop and facilitate annual communications training for Crossroads’ volunteers and staff
- Gather and analyze metrics to continually improve Crossroads’ online performance
- Manage relationships with external creative suppliers/partners including designers, printers, web developers, hosting firms etc., to ensure Crossroads’ initiatives advance strategic objectives
- Oversee external translators and ensure top quality translation
- Monitor/administer project budgets to ensure no cost overruns, and coordinate tendering process for all major projects to ensure cost effectiveness
- Recruit and supervise communication interns and volunteers as required
- Proofread a wide variety of documents in English and French
- Other duties as required
- University degree in journalism, marketing, communications, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in journalism, marketing, communications, or a related field with professional experience in marketing/communications and project management with a PR agency, corporation, or non-profit organization
- Exceptional project management skills as well as analytical and reporting skills
- Fluency in oral and written English and French
- Demonstrated experience managing online campaigns including social media, fundraising, website management and other digital strategies
- Demonstrated experience managing offline engagement, events, and outreach activities
- Proven ability to write and edit clear, concise, and compelling prose — website, reports, op-eds, ad copy, blog posts and eblasts, etc.
- Experience in coordination and promotion of events
- Dynamic presentation and facilitation skills
- Proficiency in WordPress, HTML, SEO, Adobe CS Suite (Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro, Illustrator) and other web-based platforms including Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools, Sprout Social and AdWords
- Professional experience using social media
- Experience editing video and audio
- Experience with Raisers Edge, Online Express, or Engaging Networks is an asset
- Experience in international development is an asset
- Media relations is an asset
ELIGIBILITY CRITIERIA AND ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS
How to Apply:
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on October 11, 2021 by e-mail to [email protected]. Applications must include “Communications and Public Engagement Officer – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.