Bilingual Volunteer Mobilization Officer – Diversity and Inclusion
The Bilingual Volunteer Mobilization Officer – Diversity and Inclusion will be responsible for volunteer recruitment across a portfolio of countries including the recruitment, selection, on-boarding, and debriefing of Canadian and international volunteers who will undertake capacity-building mandates with Crossroads’ local partner organizations in 11 countries of operation in sub-Saharan Africa. The incumbent will lead the Volunteer Mobilization Team forward in growing and sustaining an approach to international cooperation that proactively fosters diversity and inclusion across the volunteer cycle.
1. Volunteer Recruitment and Onboarding(60%)
- Contribute to the development and implementation targeted volunteer recruitment strategies based on recruitment and programmatic annual objectives.
- Identify, develop, and maintain relationships with organizations, businesses, and institutions for the recruitment of qualified volunteers in-line with programmatic needs.
- Lead the selection and on-boarding of qualified North-South, South-South and remote volunteers, in coordination with the Program Team and local partner organizations.
- Liaise with the Program Team to ensure that all published volunteers mandates are clear and designed to attract Canadian or international volunteers while reflecting the needs of local partner organizations.
- Facilitate pre- and post-mandate steps in the Volunteer Cycle, including providing guidance to volunteers regarding conditions and volunteer responsibilities.
- Collaborate in the delivery and on-going strengthening of the volunteer training continuum, including pre-departure, and debriefing sessions.
2. Strengthening Volunteer Engagement (35%)
- Serve as a champion and thought leader for diversity and inclusion within the VMT and across the volunteer cycle
- Conduct research into best practices and other leading organizations, making recommendations to support diversity and inclusion advancement, refinement, and implementation.
- Lead in the strengthening and development of Volunteer Management tools and documentation through the lens of diversity and inclusion.
- Participate in updating and maintaining information in the Volunteer Tracking System and SharePoint so that volunteer records are accurate and the appropriate output figures are up to date.
- Facilitate regular information-sharing meetings with colleagues in the Program Team and External Relations Team.
- Promote excellence and best practices in volunteering within Crossroads International to continuing building a reputation for excellence in volunteer recruitment and retention.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the volunteering annual operational plan to further advance volunteering and best practices.
3. Perform Other Duties as Required (5%)
- Participate in the organizational Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- Support organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans.
- Contribute to the ongoing emphasis of process improvements, including current projects within the Volunteer Mobilization Team.
- A post-secondary education in a professional discipline relevant to the role (International Development, Human Resources, or combined equivalent of education and experience)
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in volunteer recruitment and selection
- A minimum of 2 years of diversity, equity, and inclusion integration experience
- Experience with recruitment, selection and on-boarding approaches and practices that promote and support diversity and inclusion in volunteering
- In-depth knowledge and experience of international volunteering a strong asset
- Strong training and facilitation skills
- Familiarity with online and distance education and learning an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Highly developed capacity to work collaboratively and in a team
- Overseas experience, particularly in one or more of Crossroads’ countries of operation preferred
- Previous experience working with Volunteer Cooperation Programs funded by Global Affairs Canada preferred
- Bilingualism (French and English) required
- Commitment to growth and development
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, diversity, and empowerment
- Commitment to women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis
- Innovation, creativity, collaboration
- Organization, autonomy, and initiative with an ability to manage competing deadlines in an effective manner to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and effectively collaborate within a team across multiple geographic locations
- Adaptability and tolerance for uncertainty
- Client and service orientation
- Strong organizational, administrative, communication & interpersonal skills
- Work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
- Travel in Canada will be required, with infrequent international travel
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been advancing equality for 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on January 3rd, 2021 by e-mail to [email protected]. Applications must include “Volunteer Mobilization Officer – Diversity and Inclusion – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will occur on an ongoing basis and may be held before the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.