Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $22.00/hour – $25.00/hour; commensurate with experience
Employment Terms: up to 35 hours per week; Probationary period – 6 months; Available to participate in Horizons functions/meetings outside of regular business hours as needed
Location: Cobourg, Ontario. (hybrid – remote and on site)
Starting Date: January 9, 2023 or sooner
Horizons of Friendship is a Canadian non-profit, international development agency committed to eliminating the root causes of poverty and injustice through the cooperation of people from the
South and the North.
Horizons of Friendship supports Central American and Mexican partner organizations that undertake local initiatives, which further this goal.
In Canada, we raise awareness on global issues and work with Canadian organizations at the local and national levels to bring about positive and lasting change.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Business Administrator is responsible for a diverse set of tasks to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the organizational support functions. This includes bookkeeping and Raisers Edge data base management, executive and HR support, scheduling and bookings, organization and coordination of the office, and communications and community engagement.
- Responsible for processing all accounts payables and receivables, reconciliations (Thrift Store sales, bank statements, staff travel expenses) and all deposits
- Processes payroll and benefit administration
- Maintain project files (payments and receipts)
- Prepare monthly journal entries and reconcile balance sheet accountants (i.e., cash on hand, prepaid expenses, account payable and accrued liabilities
- Gather and reconcile corporate expenses
- Management and filing of all accounting records
- As required assist the Executive Director and/or liaise with outside partners, particularly regarding financial matters, including the preparation of yearly and quarterly financial reports
- Raisers Edge data base management, including processing donations and associated required documentation (i.e., tax receipts), downloading and entering the weekly disbursement summaries, inputting fundraising batches from Raisers Edge to Sage 50 monthly.
- Ensure smooth and efficient running of all organizational support functions including implementing ideas to enhance cost effectiveness and improve employee satisfaction/overall office environment
- Ensure office/organizational guidelines and manuals are complete and up-to-date and monitor their implementation.
- Prepare and/or edit internal and external letters, memos, and mass emails; assist with the preparation of business presentations.
- Coordinate and manage purchases required for office; maintain office shared spaces and kitchen (dishwasher, general cleanliness); manage the office and property maintenance including overseeing contracts with outside vendors.
- Participate in monthly staff and administrative team meetings.
- Act as a backup for minutes taking for board meetings; participate in Board Committees as needed.
- Responsible for mail pick up and disbursement.
- Support/coordinate travel arrangements involving multiple destinations including booking flights, accommodations etc.
- Coordinate and/or assist with corporate event planning tasks including venue, marketing or invitation materials, catering, setup, presentations etc. as necessary.
- Develop and implement filing and organizational procedures, maintain contact lists, plan on-site/off site activities and other ad hoc needs as required.
- With Executive Director, plan and implement cycle of strategic planning, including annual planning and annual job reviews.
Human Resource Support
- Support recruitment activities including coordinating the new hire process/onboarding.
- Set up new and existing employees with technology as required (i.e., monitors, laptops), passwords etc.
- Administer employee benefit plan including tracking staff paid-time off entitlements (vacation and personal days).
- Act as a resource person for the Executive Director on personnel and employment standards matters, including preparation of annual contracts, annual evaluation, and other procedures.
- Coordinate logistics and oversight/supervision of student placement program.
- Take leadership in the preparation of materials to disseminate information on the work of Horizons’ partners through approaches to the media, at public engagements and events, including distribution of promotional materials.
- Assist Executive Director and/or write articles for newsletters, website, press releases, donor communications/supporters etc.
- Assist and support communication materials needed for Horizons staff.
- Assist in sourcing materials for Horizons’ website and in the translation of Spanish language materials from Southern partners.
- Oversee and manage content on relevant social media platforms.
- Provide guidance on the potential use of social media to expand Horizons’ profile and educate new audiences.
- Assist the Executive Director, and as needed, take leadership on public engagement initiatives, educational tours to Mesoamerica, partner visit to Canada and other constituency-building activities.
- Business administration degree or equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- At least two/three-years’ work experience in bookkeeping and office administration capacity. Working within a non-governmental organization is an asset.
- High level of competency in Simply Accounting/Sage 50, payroll regulations and procedures. Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting practices is an asset.
- Experience in modern office systems/procedures.
- Advanced computer skills in a network environment using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and various internet tools.
- Excellent ability to effectively manage time, priorities, and multiple deliverables
- Accurate and detail-oriented with a high level of initiative.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction but also work cohesively in a small team environment
- Superior English skills, both written and oral; spoken and written Spanish an asset.
- Excellent team, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Attitude and behaviour which show respect for different cultures.
- Commitment and understanding of social justice and international development.
- Eligible to work in Canada (permanent resident or Canadian citizen).
Cobourg is located approximately one hour east of Toronto, on the shore of Lake Ontario. A family community with a population of 19,000, it offers a beautiful sandy beach, quality educational opportunities and a host of recreational and cultural amenities.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to direct their applications (including cover letter and resume) to Jocelyne Paul, Interim Executive Director, by Friday December 23, 2022.
Applications may be sent by email (preference) or mail to:
Horizons of Friendship
50 Covert Street, P. O. Box 402
Cobourg, ON K9A 4L1
E-mail: [email protected]
For more information on Horizons of Friendship, see our website at www.horizons.ca We wish to thank all those who respond to this posting for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Horizons of Friendship practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.