BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (BD) MANAGER
Based out of Children Believe’s Canada Office and reporting to the Director, Global Partnerships, the BD Manager is responsible for the business development and growth of the institutional grants pipeline. The incumbent works to map key donors, identify relevant funding opportunities and lead the cross-functional teams of high quality multi-country, multi-year program funding proposals to government, multi lateral and global foundation donors. The role works collaboratively with BD Managers acro
Careers that empower young dreamers
When you make a decision to work with Children Believe you’re not just doing something great for your career, you’re helping empower children around the world to access education, pursue their dreams and be a voice for change. We know there are lots of career options for talented, top performers like you, but not many offer the opportunity to help children live and dream fearlessly.
If you are looking for a role in a truly inclusive organization and working in a great team environment where your contribution is valued and respected, we have the position for you.
Children Believe is Children Believe is seeking a results-oriented, confident and collaborative Business Development Manager
Business Development (BD) Manager
Based out of Children Believe’s Canada Office and reporting to the Director, Global Partnerships, the BD Manager is responsible for the business development and growth of the institutional grants pipeline. The incumbent works to map key donors, identify relevant funding opportunities and lead the cross-functional teams of high quality multi-country, multi-year program funding proposals to government, multi lateral and global foundation donors. The role works collaboratively with BD Managers across Children Believe’s country offices (CO) on business development and grants pipeline forecasting, opportunity risk assessment and by providing technical support. The goal is to contribute to the growth of Children Believe’s program impact and influence through global partnerships and securing institutional grant funding for new and ongoing strategic initiatives.
This role includes, but is not limited to:
1. Donor mapping, pre-positioning and proposal development:
- Lead on prospect research and analysis of funding opportunities in alignment with Children Believe’s strategic priorities, for funding support to programs, advocacy and research initiatives.
- Conduct donor mapping and analysis, and stay on top of changes in donor strategic and funding priorities in order to pre-position Children Believe as a relevant partner of choice.
- Establish relationships and maintain regular and pro-active communications with current and prospective institutional donors.
- Maintain strong and trusting collaborative networks with BD Managers in partner agencies in Canada and globally for continuous intelligence sharing and opportunity to form consortia.
- Lead on Children Believe’s Canada Office proposal development (multi-country or regional proposals, including outside Children Believe’s countries of operation), manage timelines and deliverables.
- Provide technical input to CO led proposals, as and when required.
- Manage the funding opportunity risk assessment and Go-NoGo processes in alignment with Children Believe’s grants and fiscal policies and procedures.
- Conduct proposal development debriefs and document lessons learnt and best practices for continuous improvement and learning.
- Ensure completeness of business development documentation related to grant proposals and donor mapping.
2. Grants pipeline management and reporting:
- Conduct monthly grant pipeline analysis and prepare reports, including match contribution requirements.
- Provide weekly updates to the Director, Global Partnerships related to any movements in the grants pipeline, new awards and contract negotiations.
3. BD Global Community of Practice (COP):
- Organize monthly BD Managers COP, prepare agenda and minutes, and conduct learning activities to stimulate out of the box thinking that results in new and enhanced methods of engaging with donors, partners and communities.
- Provide technical support to CO BD Managers for successful pre-positioning, development of consortia and proposal development.
- Drive application of RBM standards throughout all COs and provide necessary training and/or support, in country and virtually.
- Comply with all Children Believe policies and procedures.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- University degree (minimum B.A or BSc. International Development or International / Global Business Management, Gender, Education, Child Protection or a related field) required; graduate degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of progressive work experience in international development, including direct field experience, knowledge of humanitarian and emergency relief an asset
- Track record of securing grants from institutional donors, particularly GAC
- Advanced knowledge of Results Based Management (RBM)
- Experience in child rights programming in: education, child protection, early childhood development, health, food security, capacity building, livelihoods and economic empowerment, advocacy and emergency response is an asset
- Minimum 5-7 years grant writing and proposal development experience with institutional donors, experience with development foundations an asset
- Excellent research, report writing and proposal development skills, including budget development oversight
- Knowledge of project management principles
- Ability to build and sustain internal, external and cross-sectoral partnerships from programs and funding perspective
- Strong communication skills, professional in communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent computer skills
- Fluency and excellent written skills in English; proficiency in French or Spanish an asset
- Ability to travel for business – approximately 20% in Canada and internationally
- Demonstrated commitment to Children Believe’s Vision, Mission and Values
Attributes, Traits, Behaviours:
- Accountability for Results
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to network, collaborate, build relationships and negotiate effectively
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and experience
- Commitment to DEI
- Flexible and adaptable to changing demands and priorities in a high pressure environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Results-oriented, proactive, deadline-driven
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
Location: The office is located at 1200 Denison Street, Markham, ON.
This is a hybrid/remote positon and incumbent can work anywhere in Canada
Between $70,000 to $83,000 annually based on experience
Children Believe offers competitive paid time-off benefits and a comprehensive group benefits plan, including health/dental, life insurance, disability, EFAP and company-match RRSP.
Children Believe is not accepting recruitment agency/firm referrals.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a Canadian criminal record check.
Children Believe is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
Children Believe is committed to providing workplace accommodations. If you require an accommodation, inform us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply:
To apply, please click here.