Consultancy: Grant Writer
Job Description: Description
The Canadian Association of Midwives (CAM) wishes to recruit a Grant Writer consultant to support the development of various project proposals. The consultant’s services are required to research funding opportunities and to develop project proposals for CAM’s global department, the National Aboriginal Council of Midwives (NACM), and for other areas of CAM work as required.
Timeframe: 4 months (July to October 2021)
Hours: 60 hours / month (estimated)
Schedule: Flexible (to be negotiated)
Remuneration: $50/hour, up to $3000/month
The Canadian Association of Midwives (CAM) is the national professional association representing midwives and the profession of midwifery in Canada. The National Aboriginal Council of Midwives’ (NACM) mission is to promote excellence in reproductive health care for First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities. Both organizations are governed autonomously but share office space and resources and both are staffed by a passionate team of individuals dedicated to providing support for midwives and the profession of midwifery across Canada and globally.
Under the direction of the Executive Director and in collaboration with global department leads and NACM Director, the Grant Writer will provide extensive technical expertise in researching funding opportunities, preparing grant applications for current initiatives, and identifying new program opportunities. The successful candidate must demonstrate experience coordinating organizational funding strategies, identifying funding opportunities, writing proposals and reports for government agencies and private funders, and demonstrate excellent writing and editing skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with different program leads (Global Programs & Partnerships Manager and NACM Director) to identify appropriate funding opportunities that support the organizations’ strategic objectives;
- Maintain a database of funding opportunities for relevant programs, keeping with CAM’s sponsorship guidelines.;
- Write grant applications, proposals or concept notes and coordinate the collection of endorsing and supporting letters and documents.
- Liaise with potential donors, partners and stakeholders as required;
- Conceptualize and plan funding proposals and applications and other targeted appeals for established funding priorities of the associations in collaboration with global and NACM leads;
- Assist with the execution of CAM and NACM funding and programmatic strategies; and
- Other related duties as identified by the Executive Director during the contract period.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Post-Secondary degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years program development, grant or proposal writing experience.
- Knowledge of the organizational structure of the Federal government’s departments and agencies.
- Knowledge of Global Affairs Canada, Women and Gender Equality, Indigenous Services Canada and Health Canada funding initiatives and priority areas.
- Knowledge of private sector and foundation funding opportunities
- High level knowledge of results-based management (logic frameworks, theory of change)
- Knowledge related to one or more of the following domains: public health, maternal health, SRHR, Indigenous health, global health, and/or gender mainstreaming.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Excellent planning, research, and writing skills.
- Superior proofreading and editing skills.
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the Canadian midwifery model.
- Communication skills in French (verbal and written) an asset.
- The Consultant will be required to use their own laptop and other communications equipment. No laptop, computer or phone will be provided by CAM.
- Work will be done remotely from the Consultant’s home office. During the contract, the Consultant may be required to travel to CAM’s head office in Montreal for in-person meetings. In such cases, prior approval by the Executive Director of travel expenses such as train, mileage, accommodation, per diem, etc will be required. Expenses will not be reimbursed without prior consent from the Executive Director.
- The Consultant will work closely with CAM’s Global Programs & Partnerships Manager and with the Director of NACM on the implementation of specific program development strategies. The Executive Director however will be responsible for approving general work plans and prioritizing work to ensure efficient use of the Consultant’s time.
Please follow these instructions:
- Send your CV and a cover letter in one PDF document and ensure that your first and last name and “GrantWriter” are included in the file name. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
- Send your PDF by email with the subject “Grant Writer Application” to [email protected]
- Deadline for applications is 5pm Eastern Time on June 20, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.