Development Officer, Stewardship
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Annual Giving and working in collaboration with the Development team, the Development Officer, Stewardship, is responsible for co-developing and implementing a comprehensive donor relations plan for all current SLF donors.
STATUS: Full-time, Permanent
LOCATION: Toronto, ON (Hybrid)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 16, 2023
WHO WE ARE
For 20 years, the Stephen Lewis Foundation has challenged traditional power structures in international development and philanthropy by shifting resources into the hands of local communities impacted by the HIV and AIDS pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa.
Committed to community-led solutions, we provide funding and allyship to local organizations who are restoring hope, reclaiming human rights, fighting injustice, and saving lives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Annual Giving and working in collaboration with the Development team, the Development Officer, Stewardship, is responsible for co-developing and implementing a comprehensive donor relations plan for all current SLF donors. The Development Officer, Stewardship will maximize donor engagement by maintaining the SLF’s commitment to quality and excellence in all internal and external communication. In conjunction with the Manager, Donor Care, and the Donor Care team, this role is responsible for documenting and tracking all details related to donor stewardship in Raiser’s Edge including reporting requirements and timelines for the full constituency base.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, create and maintain a comprehensive stewardship matrix to streamline gift acknowledgement and thank you process, including automation of activities where appropriate.
- Participate in Annual Planning process with Development Team members to identify opportunities to increase stewardship and Implement new practices for annual recognition
- Oversee a high-touch stewardship program that uses telephone, email, letters, tax receipts, and notes to communicate timely gratitude to our supporters; and with the Director of Development, engage colleagues, board members, and volunteers across the Foundation in the donor appreciation process.
- Update and maintain donor communications such as letter templates related to gift acknowledgment and thank you process to maximize donor retention
- Respond to and escalate donor inquiries to Deputy Director Annual Giving or Director of Development where appropriate
- In collaboration with the Senior Database Manager, implement, and monitor a best practice reminder system for gift renewals and donor journeys using Raiser’s Edge.
- Generate a trigger report that prompts staff to complete donor engagement actions including phone calls and emails
- Update and record all Planned Giving/Estate information in Raiser’s Edge and maintain hard copy files; fulfill requests for Planned Giving information and send thank you letters for notifications of planned gifts that come through the office
- Coordinate the finalization and dissemination of newsletters, impact reports, annual reports and customized updates to support donor cultivation and engagement
- Plan and implement organizational Thank A Thon and other cross functional stewardship activities
- Support the delivery of Corporate and Foundation stewardship/recognition commitments, and generate retention reporting for the same
- Plan and execute recognition and stewardship events, in collaboration with key team members; maintain workflow and briefings, produce necessary materials (remarks, briefs, signage, etc.), and assist with set up and event logistics as required.
- Ensure department-wide collection of stewardship materials and share with the organization to support the cultivation of prospects, donors, and people of influence.
- Provide core material for briefings, presentations, and proposals within required timeframes.
- Work within a “donor-centered” framework, helping to advance a culture of philanthropy throughout the foundation.
- Other duties related to stewardship and fundraising, as assigned.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- 1- 2 years’ experience working in the not for profit sector in a stewardship or fundraising role
- Demonstrates initiative, problem-solving, and efficient use of Foundation’s resources (human, financial etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven ability to solve problems independently
- Professional demeanor including strong sense of personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to multitask and prioritize to ensure deliverables and deadlines are met or exceeded
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, Adobe, PowerPoint, Canva
- High level of proficiency working in Raiser’s Edge
- Personal commitment to the values of feminism, anti-racism, anti-colonialism, social justice, solidarity, and gender equality
WHAT WE OFFER
- 4 weeks vacation, sick and personal days
- Comprehensive benefits package (health, dental, vision)
- Competitive wages; The SLF is certified by the Ontario Living Wage Network
- Hybrid remote work schedule and flexible hours to promote employee wellbeing
- Top-up for maternity/parental leave and sick leave
How to Apply:
Submit your résumé and cover letter to [email protected], indicating “Development Officer, Stewardship” in the email subject line. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Applicants who receive an employment offer will be required to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment or have a valid medical or other Human Rights Code-related exemption.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation promotes feminist and anti-oppression principles and is committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons and people with lived experience of HIV and AIDS.
The Stephen Lewis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.