Fund Director, ACTIF
The Act Together for Inclusion Fund (ACTIF) was established to enhance the respect, protection and fulfillment of the human rights of, and socio-economic outcomes for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, trans, queer, two spirited and intersex (LGBTQ2I) persons in countries eligible for overseas development assistance (ODA). ACTIF is a strong proponent of feminist and participatory approaches that shift the power of decision making to communities themselves. ACTIF is managed by Equitas in collaboration with Dignity Network Canada and supported by two key independent governing bodies made up of LGBTQ2I activists and grantmakers: an Advisory Committee and Project Selection Committee. The Advisory Committee provides high level oversight and strategic development of the Fund. The Selection Committee reviews and makes decisions around funding projects. The Fund Director coordinates the work of these two committees and helps to promote and nurture the participatory models of decision-making.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Overall management of the Fund
- Oversees the work of the Fund and ensures that proper planning and monitoring takes place.
- Monitors progress towards the achievement of the Fund’s objectives and ensures timely corrective action where necessary.
- Oversees the development, implementation, and evaluation of the Fund’s calls for proposals
- Ensures that reports for Global Affairs Canada (GAC) are produced and delivered in a timely manner
- Analyses issues, trends and risks to identify new opportunities and strategies to mitigate reputational and financial risks.
- Coordinates the work of the Advisory Committee and the Project Selection Committee
- Ensures that appropriate resources and mechanisms are in place to respond to proposals received and follow up with applicants and funding recipients.
- Ensures that appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans are developed and implemented.
- Provides regular reports on project progress, risks and challenges.
- Collaborates with the Fund Finance Manager and the Equitas Finance Director to ensure:
- development of tools and processes to ensure compliance and risk management
- accurate budgeting and forecasting and timely financial reporting to Global Affairs Canada.
Representation and relations with the Fund’s main stakeholders, as well as with other networks and stakeholders.
- Acts as the main interlocutor with the Dignity Network on all matters relating to the management of the Fund
- Builds partnerships and relationships with key stakeholders for the success of the Fund.
- Participates in the DNC Network Advocacy Committee and ensures proactive communication with Dignity Network members
- Represents the Fund in discussions with GAC and in discussions with key stakeholders on issues relevant to the Fund.
- Develops working relationships with other funders and networks on participatory funding and LGBTQ2I rights.
- In collaboration with the Director of Programs and the Equitas team (Executive Director, Communications, etc.), contributes to the drafting of positioning and advocacy documents on LGBTQ2I rights, the human rights-based approach, in relation to the ACTIF Fund and the Equitas mission.
- Represents the Fund at conferences, workshops, media, etc. to share good practices and lessons learned as appropriate.
- Participates in sector networks or working groups (e.g. CPAG set up by Cooperation Canada and GAC).
- Provides leadership, guidance, and support to a team of professionals working on the Fund.
- Monitors the work of consultants and other Equitas staff assigned to work on the implementation of the Fund.
Communication, evaluation and knowledge building and sharing activities related to the Fund
- Works with the Director of Communications and Fund Development and the Dignity Network to ensure implementation of communications strategies and plans.
- Works with assigned staff, the Equitas Knowledge Manager and the Dignity Network to oversee the implementation of the Fund’s knowledge sharing strategies and plans.
- Oversees the development and implementation of the Fund’s capacity building program.
Organizational activities and processes
- Ensures compliance with internal policies and procedures (procurement, policy on prevention of sexual violence, harassment and discrimination, etc.).
- Commitment to the stated objectives and principles of the Fund as well as Equitas’ values.
- Commitment to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and reflective of the diversity, in particular LGBTQ2I.
- University degree in a relevant discipline, combined with a minimum of 8 years of project management experience in a leadership role in the charitable sector. Specific project management with large funding organizations such as Global Affairs Canada is considered an asset.
- Proven experience working with the LGBTQ2I community, in Canada and/or internationally.
- Experience working in a grant-making or funding agency is an asset.
- Proven experience in human rights, equality and inclusion, including sexual orientation and gender identity and expression. Such experience in an international context is considered an asset.
- Excellent oral communication, reading and comprehension skills in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); and excellent writing and presentation skills in at least one of these languages. Proficiency in other languages (notably Spanish) is an asset.
- Proficiency in the use of computers, including word processing, spreadsheets and use of the internet and e-mail.
- Cooperation and collaboration; supports and promotes the team members, actively leads and inspires others without trying to dominate the group.
- Equity and Inclusion: invests in full potential of individual, group differences and effectively leads diverse groups and builds consensus
- Stakeholder engagement: acts as a trusted advisor, becomes involved in stakeholders’ decision-making process while remaining objective, impartial and upholding the ethical principles of Equitas.
- Developing others: creates a supportive learning environment that facilitates employee growth and development.
- Results orientation: sets, works, and holds self and others to meet challenging goals.
- Planning and organizing: develops and oversees multiple plans for internal groups and teams, anticipates risks, and takes appropriate steps.
What we offer
- We offer the chance to be a part of and make up a diverse and engaged team who are all meaningfully contributing to positive social change in Canada and around the world in their own way.
- We value self-care, inclusion and empathy towards all team members and place a strong emphasis on work-life balance. In addition to vacation time, we offer 2 weeks off over the winter holidays.
- We’re all about learning and offer all employees the opportunity to participate in Learning Committees based on their interests and participate in a workplace culture that is constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate.
- We have a centrally located office with a beautiful view of Mont-Royal (although we’re currently operating remotely).
- We believe in trust and openness and offer a ﬂexible work environment.
- We believe in creating space for everyone to lead and offer opportunities within our governance structure to allow for individuals in all roles to take on opportunities for leadership.
- We offer a comprehensive beneﬁts package which includes a competitive salary for the NGO sector, 3 weeks paid vacation (4 weeks after 3 years), paid personal days, medical, dental and life insurance, a group RRSP and much more!
Given the nature of our work, Equitas strongly encourages applications from any candidates who have experienced marginalization, in particular, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, LGBTQ2I people, and people living with disabilities. Candidates who wish to do so may self-identify in their application.
At Equitas, we do not tolerate harassment, discrimination, violence, or abuse of any form. All employment offers are conditional of the signing of Equitas’ Human Resources Policy, our Policy on Preventing Sexual Violence, Harassment and Discrimination and satisfactory references.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply:
How to apply? Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Fund Director, ACTIF in the subject line by March 28 2022, to