GLOBAL HEALTH – FINANCIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER – BILINGUAL
Job Description: Contract-Three-year Term (with possibility of renewal)
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC) is one of Canada’s oldest national specialty organizations. Established in 1944, the Society’s mission is to promote excellence in the practice of obstetrics and gynaecology and to advance the health of women through leadership, advocacy, collaboration, and education.
The SOGC has over 3,900 members, comprised of obstetricians, gynaecologists, family physicians, nurses, midwives, and allied health professionals working in the field of sexual reproductive health.
The SOGC’s Global Health Program is working to improve women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights at home and around the world, by addressing health inequities and promoting timely access to quality, culturally-safe care.
The Global Health Program focuses on the following areas:
- Upgrading the skills of health care workers in emergency obstetrical care, family planning and gender based violence in a reproductive rights framework;
- Development and adaptation of clinical practice guidelines and tools;
- Quality assurance tools and support mechanisms;
- Needs assessments and mapping exercises;
- Development and implementation of program monitoring and evaluation;
- Organizational capacity building of professional associations;
- Facilitating delivery of respectful maternity/reproductive care; and
- Advocacy and public education related to women’s reproductive health and rights.
The SOGC has experience leading and partnering in global health initiatives in countries around the world, most recently in Tanzania, Burundi, Malawi and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
This is an anticipated position subject to funding.
The Financial and Administrative Officer supports the SOGC’s Global Health Team with the financial and administrative duties related to the implementation of several international development initiatives in low-middle income countries in accordance with donor compliance.
He / She will work in close collaboration with members of the Global Health Program, the Chief Financial Officer, administrative assistant and other partners.
- Ensures compliance with project specific financial accountability frameworks and reporting requirements;
- Ensures Global Health staff comply with financial guidelines and approval levels;
- Maintains good working relationships with project partners, grantors and volunteers;
- Manages project budgets, including the monitoring of expenditures, forecasting and cash flow projections in compliance with finance and procurement guidelines and timelines;
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual field financial reports for submission to the Global Health managers;
- Submits approved payment requests to SOGC’s Finance team for processing;
- Verifies expenditures and payments to vendors based on approved procurement plans and processes, purchase requisitions and purchase orders;
- Supports Global Health Project Managers in the preparation of project related budgets and reworking of budgets in keeping with changes in project plans;
- Assists with preparation of staff and volunteer timesheets, if required; and
- Is responsible for proper retention of all project-related documents.
In coordination with the Global Health Project Managers:
- Assumes responsibility for coordinating domestic and international travel (i.e. purchase of airline tickets, reservation of hotels, purchase of insurance coverage, etc.);
- Assumes responsibility for gathering requirements and price quotations for equipment and other purchases related to Global Health Projects (ex: training equipment, international shipping);
- Reviews and arranges travel reimbursement payments to staff, volunteers and consultants; and
- Prepares, processes and tracks expense claims according to policies and procedures.
- Other duties as required by Director.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE and KEY SKILLS:
- Relevant academic qualifications in accounting, financial management, commerce, economics or related field; a degree in Finance, Business Administration or commerce;
- Three years of relevant professional experience in a not-for profit setting;
- Experience in creating tools/ processes to facilitate compliance with grant-based funding and related financial accountability and reporting requirements;
- Experience ensuring compliance with Global Affairs Canada funding models and/or of other international donors;
- Significant knowledge and experience with full cycle financial management activities including accounts payable, cash management, budget development, statutory requirements and general ledger;
- Excellent numeracy and computer skills (Microsoft Office 365; Advanced Excel, Teams, DropBox, experience with Great Plains is an asset);
- Ability to prioritize work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through;
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with proven proactive approach;
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and under own initiative; and
- Keen attention to details and excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal (English and French required).
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Position will be working remotely until the SOGC Office opens in Ottawa; anticipated in Fall 2021, after which this will be in in-office position
- Ability to work weekends or overtime occasionally
- Must have existing legal authorization to work in Canada
The SOGC is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age or disability. Accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Should you be interested, please send your cover letter and resume to the attention of Liette Perron ([email protected]) by Friday, May 7, 2021. Please clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position in your application.