Head of Programs (HoP), Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC)
Cuso International is a Canadian not-for-profit organization focused on ending poverty and inequality. We work on today’s most important development issues by connecting global communities in need with the skills they need to create lasting change. And we’ve been doing this for 60 years. How? Through education, empowerment, and an enabling environment. Our skilled volunteers and staff work with hundreds of local partners around the world to advance gender equality, enrich the lives of women and girls, and improve economic opportunities for vulnerable and marginalized communities.
Cuso is a people-centred organization that prioritizes working in partnership with local organizations. Cuso presently supports programs implemented in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
ABOUT THE ROLE
After 60 years, Cuso has embarked on a process of renewal. In an era of rapidly changing contexts for international cooperation, Cuso is looking for an experienced HoP, LAC that has ambition for contributing to advance human rights, reduce inequality and create both economic and social opportunities for marginalized groups. The HoP, LAC is responsible for overseeing the operations of Cuso’s country programs in the Caribbean, Colombia, Ecuador and Honduras. The HoP, LAC directly oversees Country Representatives (CR) and the performance of country teams in fulfilling their program/project commitments and regulatory compliance requirements. She or he or they will champion regional progress in support of Cuso’s Strategic Plan and ensure program teams are equipped to succeed. As Cuso’s regional leader in LAC, they lead implementation of organizational procedures and policies while advocating for progress in meeting the needs of country program offices (CPO). The HoP, LAC plays a strategic role in supporting effective relations with donors and partner organizations and the development of new projects aligned with Cuso’s thematic priorities as well as mobilizing funding from national, regional and international donors to scale-up and maximize Cuso’s impact in LAC over the next five years.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Cuso is looking for a leader driven by passion and principle to advance human progress in all its forms, including social justice, human rights, gender equality, environmental sustainability and economic development. A person who has learned firsthand the opportunities and challenges of the development sector to contribute to a better world through their work with communities, civil society, governments and the private sector; in particular through program design, innovation and partnerships. The ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of the complexities of international cooperation matters and a professional track record of entrepreneurship in a career that has shown success in roles of progressively greater responsibilities. She or he or they love a challenge, are highly self-aware and derive their energy from effective teamwork. The HoP, LAC must have experience with all facets of non-profit leadership, from programs and stakeholder management to financial management and human resources. As a superior communicator in Spanish and English, they are a natural collaborator and partnership broker.
If you are interested in this position, you wish to give full flight to your feminist principles and apply your professional ambition to an organization that is re-inventing itself to have a greater impact in the world. You’re known to have principled opinions; you bring people together and you want a workplace that will allow you to make a world of positive difference.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
- Oversee Cuso’s volunteer cooperation program (VCP) in LAC, including providing leadership and guidance to CPOs, supporting development and implementation of annual work plans and volunteer delivery plans.
- Oversee bilateral projects funded by donors, such as GAC, European Union (EU), UNHCR and World Food Programme, including providing leadership and guidance to LAC team (40+ staff), overseeing annual work plans and partnership management.
- Support annual budgeting process for the VCP and bilateral projects and monitor performance through regular reporting and reviews.
- Collaborate with relevant departments to provide training and tools to ensure CPO compliance with all Cuso programmatic, financial and reporting deadlines and Cuso and donor policies, procedures and processes.
- Collaborate with DPQI ensuring Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) are in place and being followed by CPO and provide training and tools (systems, processes and practices) to ensure CPOs compliance with Cuso and donor’s MEAL requirements.
- Collaborate with the Global Human Resource (HR) team to ensure human resources policies are understood and implemented effectively across LAC, supporting onboarding, training and assessment needs as required.
- Ensure compliance with duty of care and safeguarding policies and procedures for the region including providing support to contingency planning, incident and crisis management
- Recruit, coach and support staff to succeed. Manage performance of CR, including annual performance appraisals.
Program Strategy and Development
- In coordination with DPSI, ensure implementation of Cuso’s Strategic Plan at the country program level, including design of five-year Regional Funding Strategy.
- Build and maintain relationships through local, regional and international networks, alliances, forums or events and promote Cuso’s programs with donors, partners, government officials or other relevant agencies in LAC. Actively grow Cuso’s network of allies, partners and donors.
- Secure funding from national, regional and international donors to scale-up Cuso’s impact in LAC.
- Build and support capacity development of CPO on concept ideation to expand Cuso’s programming in LAC.
- Lead development of concept notes and proposals in coordination with DPSI as well as Cuso’s Program Development and Funding Team and Finance Teams at Cuso’s Canada office.
- Coordinate with Cuso’s Resource Development (RD) and Communication Teams to promote innovative project ideas to support RD fundraising efforts, design digital campaigns and facilitate public outreach.
- Lead start-up of new projects in LAC in coordination with DPSI and DPQI, including design of project implementation plans, managing relationships with donors and partners, designing annual work plans and budgets and building project teams.
- In coordination with DPSI team, support development of thought leadership and advocacy activities within Cuso.
- Foster a positive, respectful, fair and participatory work environment for staff and volunteers free from harassment, motivating them to actively participate towards achieving Cuso’s goals.
- Fulfill other responsibilities, as required by Cuso International from time to time.
- Regular travel within LAC and internationally when required.
- University Degree in a relevant field, preferably at master’s degree level (or equivalent experience)
- At least 10 years of experience in designing, planning, launching, managing, monitoring and implementing large development programs/projects in LAC ($20M+), including strong knowledge of MEAL systems and frameworks.
- At least 10 years of experience in a leadership role with experience managing large multi-disciplinary teams (20+ staff).
- Strong network of actors in the development sector in LAC, including government agencies, private sector actors and international donors.
- Well-developed experience with annual work planning, budget management and financial reporting, including for international donors.
- A proven track record of securing funding for programming in LAC (projects CAD $5M+), including strong network of national, regional and international donors and strategic partners.
- Proven experience working with Global Affairs Canada and/or other international development agencies and donors, such UN agencies (e.g., UNHCR), USAID and EU.
- Strong experience working in the development context in LAC, including inclusive employment, migration, women’s empowerment, governance and climate change.
Capacities, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent understanding of the results-based management, including tools and applications.
- Proven commitment to advancement of gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment.
- Strong ability to coach, mentor and motivate large teams.
- Ability to make decisions and take initiative, as part of managing a complex and varied workload.
- Excellent strategic thinking and analytical abilities.
- Excellent cross-cultural interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook and web-based research.
- Ability to work irregular hours and overtime when needed to meet critical deadlines.
How to Apply:
Cuso International is committed to creating and fostering an inclusive culture. We strive to actively celebrate diversity, advance our equitable practices, and drive greater inclusion. We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package and insurance, generous days of paid time off, including vacation and sick days, and more.
Please click here to submit your application. Applications should be received no later than August 9, 2022, at 11:59pm Eastern Time. Expressions of interest should be sent in English. Your résumé and one-page cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any desirable qualifications.
Please note that a confirmation email will be generated once you submit your application, but it may be directed to your spam or junk folders of your email inbox.
Cuso International is an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations will be provided at any stages of the hiring process upon request. Thank you for your interest in Cuso International.