Human Resources & Payroll Administrator
Under the direction of the Manager, Human Resources, the Human Resources & Payroll Administrator be responsible for the administration and coordination of human resources and payroll activities in Canada. They will process the bi-weekly payroll and assist the Manager, HR in the administration of human resources systems, files, and records, ensuring integrity and confidentiality of HR and payroll related information.
Internal/External Posting Notice
Title: Human Resources & Payroll Administrator
Department: Finance & Operations
Status: Full-time, non-union
Location: Ottawa, ON
Immediate Supervisor: Manager, Human Resources
Salary: $51,636.73 – $67,950.39
Application Deadline: January 31, 2023
Oxfam Canada is an affiliate of the international Oxfam Confederation networked in over 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. Our mission is to build lasting solutions to poverty and injustice with a focus on improving the lives and promoting the rights of women and girls. We work directly with communities, partners and women’s rights organizations to challenge the systems that perpetuate inequality and keep people poor. Together we seek to influence those in power to ensure that women trapped in poverty have a say in the critical decisions that affect them, their families and entire communities. That’s why we believe that ending global poverty begins with women’s rights.
Oxfam Canada offers a generous compensation and benefits program, including robust health, dental and wellness benefits, flexible workplace, 4 weeks’ vacation, but more than that, we offer the opportunity to be a part of our global movement for change. If you advocate for gender equality, are passionate about women’s rights, and share our values of Equality, Empowerment, Solidarity, Inclusiveness, Accountability and Courage – we want you on our team!
SCOPE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Manager, Human Resources, the Human Resources & Payroll Administrator be responsible for the administration and coordination of human resources and payroll activities in Canada. They will process the bi-weekly payroll and assist the Manager, HR in the administration of human resources systems, files, and records, ensuring integrity and confidentiality of HR and payroll related information. This role will also support various other HR functions, including recruitment, onboarding, and training. This role will work closely with the HR and Finance team in order to effectively maintain payroll and HR systems.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of the duties to be performed)
While maintaining confidentiality of information, they
- Process the bi-weekly payroll, verifying payroll change requests and updates to staff information as directed by HR Manager.
- Prepare Records of Employment (ROE), and other government legislated documentation as required.
- Prepare and complete year-end processing including reconciliation, filing and preparation of T4s
- Set up and provide instruction to staff regarding online paystub portal, and responding to payroll inquiries in a timely manner
- Support HR team with termination payment and retro payment calculations, and application of annual and ad-hoc payroll increases
- Provide HR and Finance teams with salary costing calculations and payroll reports as requested
- Provide HR and Finance team with payroll information to support MSPP and RRSP administration and payments
- Work with Finance team in providing necessary payroll information for budgeting and financial reporting
System administration and maintenance
- Act as primary administrator for all HR systems, including HRIS, timesheet, payroll, benefits, and pension systems.
- Creates, maintain update, and terminates employee and position information within the various systems, ensure accuracy, timeliness, and consistency of information
- Act as primary contact for all benefits providers, informing Manager HR of changes, issues, or updates to the various systems;
- Respond to queries and provide support to staff regarding HR related systems, with support from HR team
- Support HR team with any investigations into information available through the various systems,
- Generate scheduled or requested reports, periodically auditing the various systems to ensure accuracy of information
- With support from HR team, provide training as part of onboarding or as needed to all staff
- Support with the updating, digitizing and improving of HR information and workflows within the existing systems
Administrative HR support
- Support the HR team in recruitment processes, including posting job advertisements, arranging interviews, and preparing interview packages;
- Supports the HR team in the induction/orientation of new employees, including preparing orientation material, communicating with new hires, and coordinating with other departments as part of the onboarding process;
- Support the HR team with the development and issuing of standard employment related letters such as confirmation of employment, etc.
- Support with the tracking of performance review files, ensuring compliance with performance review deadlines;
- Support the coordination, implementation and tracking of organization-wide training initiatives, including ensuring accurate training records within the HRIS
- Maintains and updates HR information available to employees through the HRIS and other systems.
- Ensures record management and appropriate archiving of HR information, including converting paper files to electronic format
- Provide administrative support to organization-wide priorities and initiatives that fall within the HR team.
- Conduct ad hoc HR related research;
- Other duties assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
They must demonstrate a high level of responsibility and initiative and have the ability to work independently.
- Post-secondary degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of 3 years experience in payroll, HR system administration or an HR supporting role;
- Demonstrated experience with various HR and payroll systems, including benefits administrator portals, HRIS and payroll administrator portal essential
- Experience with and understanding of payroll principles, as well as hands-on experience administering payroll through an established payroll system;
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and reprioritize tasks in response to unexpected changes in priorities/requests and effectively manage change in fast paced environment;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Commitment to global justice, women’s rights and gender equality and social change;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrate commitment to delivering exceptional customer service;
- Strong computer skills in spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail and online systems are essential;
- Experience in working in a cross-cultural setting;
- Experience working in an unionized environment is an asset;
- Experience with Desjardins or BambooHR is an asset
- Fluency in Spanish or French is an asset;
- Working towards CHRP or Canadian Payroll Association certification is an asset
- Willingness to sign and abide by the Oxfam Code of Conduct
In addition to competitive pay, we offer:
- 35-hour workweek and the ability to work flexible hours
- A hybrid workplace where staff can work from home and the Ottawa office
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year, plus paid office closure between Christmas and New Year
- Extensive health, dental and wellness coverage for you and your dependents
- Paid sick days, and additional time off for personal and care responsibilities
- Pension plan contributions
- Caring, compassionate and supportive work environment that recognizes that work is one of the many responsibilities we have to prioritize in our lives
- Regular opportunities for all staff across Canada to meet – in person and virtually – to learn, connect and grow as a team!
** MUST be eligible to work in Canada **
If you don’t see yourself reflected in every job requirement listed in the posting above, we still encourage you to apply.
Oxfam Canada is committed to diversity and equity around the globe and in our workplace. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us as soon as possible of any particular adaptive measures you might require. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Important Note: All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our strict code of conduct, subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for Oxfam Canada.
For additional career opportunities within Oxfam Canada, please visit oxfam.ca/employment-opportunities. Please note that we are not able to offer internships or overseas volunteer placements.
We welcome you to join our movement – sign up for news and updates today.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply:
Click here to apply!