Under the leadership of the Head of Humanitarian & Resilience Programs, the Humanitarian Advisor leads a diversified portfolio of humanitarian and nexus projects. With the underlying goal of strengthening, promoting and implementing best practices in locally-led, empowered program management, the Humanitarian Advisor is responsible for:
- Leading a matrixed team of Humanitarian Project Coordinators in their relationships with Country Office colleagues to build quality programs.
- Overseeing a geographic portfolio ($10-15M/yr) of humanitarian & recovery projects in their area of responsibility.
- Providing humanitarian technical expertise to ensure that humanitarian programs are delivered according to international standards and with an embedded gender sensitive and localization-driven approach.
- Building and maintaining positive donor relationships and strategic partnerships
- Overseeing financial management of portfolio through the project cycle.
- Contributing to the creation of tools, systems, and processes for continuous improvement with a strong commitment to learning and feedback mechanisms.
- Contributing materials and information to CARE Canada’s Public Engagement teams to better inform the Canadian public about CARE’s work and impact.
- Traveling to support emergency responses and CARE Country Offices to support project implementation.
WHAT YOU OFFER / ABOUT YOU
- Experience managing humanitarian and recovery programs or operational responses aligned to international standards
- Experience living and working in humanitarian/emergency or other complex contexts
- Experience and commitment to promoting gender equality within humanitarian work
- A very good understanding of the humanitarian system, principles and key relief sectors
- Experience in coaching and mentoring staff and/or matrix reports.
- Strong intercultural skills, listening skills, and humility; ability and comfort in navigating, building, and nourishing work relationships with counterparts in country offices working under difficult circumstances
- Commitment to local capacity development, decolonization of aid and gender equality
- Strong leadership skills & excellent judgement
- High political acumen and excellent team building and interpersonal skills
- Track record of high resilience under pressure and ability to support and motivate teams in these situations
- Excellent assessment, report writing, proposal development, and emergency strategy development skills
- Language skills essential (excellent written and spoken English and French is essential)
- Ability to work flexibly in fast-paced and evolving contexts and comfort navigating uncertainty
- Ability to work in a team-based and collaborative environment, including remote collaboration both in Canada and globally
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU EXTRAORDINARY
- Additional language skills: Spanish or Arabic are highly desirable
- Previous experience with Global Affairs Canada funding, including managing grants and/or contribution agreements in humanitarian or development contexts
- Technical specialisation in a thematic area of expertise relevant to CARE Canada’s work
WHAT WE OFFER / ABOUT CARE
- Starting Salary Range between $70,000 – $75,000 CAD depending on skills and experience
- Comprehensive benefits package and confidential Employee Assistance Program services available to you and your dependents from your first day of employment
- 3 weeks of annual leave (increases to 4 weeks starting in 2nd year of employment)
- Inclusive Holiday Policy
- In addition to annual leave, we offer a December 24-January 1 office closure so we can all recharge simultaneously
- Paid sick leave
- Parental leave top-up
- Employer contributions to group pension plan
- Optional participation in group RRSP
- International and domestic travel opportunities
- Annual all-staff retreat in Ottawa
- Learning and development opportunities and specialized training
- Flexible work hours to support employee wellbeing and productivity
- A focus on wellness and work-life balance
- Amazing colleagues who are very committed to CARE’s mission
How to Apply:
If you are someone who thrives on challenge, loves to be part of a dynamic team and you are passionate about making a difference, then this opportunity is for you! Don’t think you check all the boxes? Reach out anyway – We would love to hear how your experience translates to this role! Please apply by August 14, 2022. Please note resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the advertisement will be removed once candidate has been identified. We are only able to consider candidates who currently have the right to work in Canada.