Title: Manager, Administration
Location: Hybrid, Montréal based
Salary Range: $65,000 to $80,000 per annum based on skills and experience.
Contract: Full Time 1-year parental leave replacement
The Canadian Association of Midwives (CAM) is the national professional association representing midwives and the profession of midwifery in Canada. Our work is focused on ensuring more equitable access to high-quality sexual, reproductive, and newborn midwifery services in Canada and globally. To achieve this, we work in partnership with the National Council of Indigenous Midwives (NCIM), midwifery associations, midwives, and relevant stakeholders.
The National Council of Indigenous Midwives’ (NCIM) mission is to promote excellence in reproductive health care for First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities. NCIM advocates for the restoration of midwifery education, the provision of midwifery services, and choice of birthplace for all Indigenous communities consistent with the U.N. Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Both organizations are governed autonomously but share office space and resources and both are staffed by a passionate team of individuals dedicated to providing support for midwives and the profession of midwifery across Canada and globally.
Benefits to Working with CAM
- Competitive salary and leave entitlements, including paid time for December holiday closure,
- Employee Health Benefits Program: dental, medical, paramedical, life insurance (certain exceptions may apply) and Employee Assistance Program services,
- Flexible hybrid work arrangement (home/Montreal office),
- Access to a bright, shared office space in a central location in Montreal as needed.
- Great team atmosphere promoting work-life balance.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences, and abilities.
The Manager of Administration is responsible for overseeing the administrative and human resource operations at the Canadian Association of Midwives, while supporting the administrative functions of NCIM. The role includes overseeing the administration department’s day-to-day functions and leading a team of administrative staff. The Manager of Administration reports to the Executive Director.
The successful candidate will have sound interpersonal skills, be detail-oriented and demonstrate a capacity to ensure organizational policies and processes reflect the values of CAM in theory and in practice. CAM is seeking a candidate that will enjoy the variety of tasks that this role offers and will contribute to a values-driven work environment, ensuring high levels of organizational efficiency and communication.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify, develop, and implement improvements to operations processes, procedures, and policies that reflect the values and priorities of CAM; ensure processes are being carried out in an appropriate, cost-effective way.
- Train and support staff in the application of policies and procedures on a regular basis.
- Support the Board of Directors in the development of governance policies and procedures.
- Participate in special projects requiring operational support, as required.
- Manage a team of direct reports in organizing and coordinating administration duties to provide support to all departments.
- Support the recruitment, selection, orientation, and training of new employees and ensure all relevant hiring processes are followed.
- Oversee the organization of staff activities, trainings, and team building events.
- Regularly review and update the Employee Handbook with up-to-date policies.
- Supports department managers in the implementation of Human Resources policies and ensure policies and procedures are followed.
- Develop and oversee the General Administration budget and forecast; engage in cost-benefit analysis to promote organizational efficiency.
- Provide input into the development of global and national project budgets and monitor administration expenditures; adjust spending and make recommendations as required.
- Review all General Administration expenses for accuracy; assign costs to relevant projects as appropriate.
- Primary contact for the office landlord and facilities management and all office suppliers.
- Negotiate and purchase equipment, licenses, and additional services required to achieve the goals of CAM. Proactively evaluate service packages to identify opportunities for cost savings and quality improvements.
- Manage and track the inventory of office assets.
- Plan space allocations, layouts, renovations, and floor moves as required.
- Responsible for ensuring office safety measures are in place and up to date.
- Assume the role of primary point of contact for outsourced IT support, and aid employees seeking support to ensure timely issue resolution.
- Administer Microsoft 365 for the organization.
- Provide IT solutions for remote work and develop IT systems that can be accessed overseas.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to take initiative and problem-solve.
- Models the values of the organization.
- Team-focused, enjoys working as part of an active group of engaged individuals, sharing information readily with co-workers, and listening to and respecting others.
- A person who presents a high degree of maturity, honesty, and trust.
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Degree in Administration, Human Resources or relevant discipline
- Five (5) years of management experience and administrative experience in an office setting
- Human Resource experience managing the employee life cycle
- Experience working in a not-for-profit organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bilingual in English and French (verbal and written) *
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex tasks and prioritize competing demands to meet deadlines.
- Strong execution and decision-making skills, with the best interest of the organization in mind.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint).
- Knowledge and understanding of computer management and cloud services.
*The CAM office is a bilingual work environment, however strong English verbal and written skills are integral to this position as most communication with the Board of Directors and other national and international member organizations is conducted in English.
Working Conditions & Location
- 1-year parental leave coverage; full-time 35 hours per week.
- Hybrid work environment; Montreal based.
How to Apply:
Please follow these instructions:
- Send your CV and a cover letter in one PDF document and ensure that your first and last names and the letters “ManagerAdministration” are included in the file name. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
- Send your PDF by email with the subject “Manager Administration Application” to [email protected]
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.