Manager, Education and Youth Engagement
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity that concentrates on a number of specific development challenges in health, education, rural development and civil society. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to global challenges. Working in Africa and Asia, we invest in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men unlock their own potential to build a better life.
As Manager, Education and Youth Engagement, you are primarily responsible for the development and implementation of a new multi-million-dollar, national program that will engage youth and educators on global development issues. You will also advise on AKFC’s growing portfolio of Canadian public engagement work, with a particular focus on youth, educators and young professionals. The goal of this role is to increase awareness and interest among young Canadians of global issues such as education, health, environmental sustainability, and gender equality and Canada’s role in a more peaceful and prosperous world for all.
In this role, you will manage a team of two to three other professionals, and together, you will design and deliver a portfolio of integrated initiatives designed to reach youth and educators at scale. You will have experience managing people, budgets, stakeholders, partners and funders to achieve ambitious goals, preferably in areas such as youth engagement, education, and/or global development. The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial and experienced program manager, equally adept at strategic thinking and program implementation.
While AKFC is headquartered in Ottawa, this full-time, permanent position can be done remotely and reports to AKFC’s Senior Manager of Public Engagement. The candidate should be available to work occasional evenings and weekends as required. Travel within Canada, when safe to do so, is expected to take place a few times a year.
The starting salary range for this position is between $75,000 and $80,000 per year.
- Management of bilingual public engagement programs for educators, youth and young professionals in Canada, including the development of school programs, educator resources, workshops, and other public engagement activities as required.
- Advise, lead, or support the strategy and implementation of public/corporate engagement and education programming aligned to resource mobilization campaigns such as World Partnership Walk and World Partnership Golf, including corporate engagement.
- Oversee the development of a portfolio of visual and written resources and content and associated engagement strategies intended for educators, youth and young professionals in English and French.
- Prepare materials relevant to program management, such as concept notes, project plans, statements of work, and budgets,
- Work with colleagues to develop monitoring and evaluation strategies and contribute to data collection, analysis, and reporting to inform the continuous strategic program improvement.
- Supervision of a team of 2-3 employees.
- Management of external relationships with stakeholders, partners, suppliers, and consultants.
- Keep informed of the latest trends and best practices in public engagement, educator, youth and young professional engagement and the broader education sector with attention to communications, public engagement and with AKFC and AKDN programming in Canada and overseas.
- Approach activities with a lens to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Respect AKF’s commitment to safeguarding in all activities and associated materials.
Qualifications & Skills
- Five to seven years of work experience managing education program design and a proven track record in leading the delivery of impactful programs targeted at educators, youth and young professionals.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in a relevant discipline such as education, international development, or communications or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest trends, tools, platforms, and best practices relevant to engaging educators, youth and young professionals, including in virtual or hybrid settings using synchronous or asynchronous materials.
- Demonstrated ability in working with consultants, stakeholders, and managing contracts.
- Superior oral, writing, and presentation skills in English. Proficiency in French is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with results-based management principles.
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, international development and an ability to communicate complex issues to public audiences.
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of financial management.
- Ability to travel in Canada.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Essential Skills and Attributes
- Time management skills with the ability to develop goals and plans, to effectively prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
- Collaborative leadership approach in the development of innovative programs.
- Sound judgement, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Capacity to work independently, take initiative, set priorities, and manage simultaneous activities.
- Enthusiastic to learn from others and share knowledge.
- Demonstrated intercultural competence and ability to adapt professional skills to fit local conditions and constraints.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information of three professional referees to the following email: [email protected] noting Manager, Education and Youth Engagement in the subject line. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an initial interview and may be invited to additional interviews and/or asked to complete a written assignment.
Deadline for submissions: May 27, 2022
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the posting may be closed prior to the deadline for submissions.