Manager, Public Affairs and Advocacy
Reports to: Director, Communications and Marketing
Position type: Full-time / Permanent
Salary range: CA$85,000 – CA$90,000 per annum
Language requirements: Bilingual, English and French
ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
Cuso International is an international cooperation and development organization that works to create economic and social opportunities for marginalized groups. Together with our partners, we are focused on efforts to advance gender equality and social inclusion, improve economic resilience, and deliver progress on climate action. We believe that by sharing skills, we can build better futures. Founded in 1961, Cuso International works in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
ABOUT THE ROLE
After more than 60 years, Cuso International has embarked on a process of renewal. In an era of rapidly changing contexts for international cooperation, we are looking for a leader in Public Affairs and Advocacy who will work closely with the Director, Communications and Marketing, Senior Officer Partnerships and Outreach, and Director, Program Strategy and Innovation to drive the development and execution of Cuso International’s advocacy and public affairs strategies in support of organizational goals. This is a key role for Cuso International, as we (re)invest in thought leadership and advocacy in support of our three strategic priorities: (1) Strengthening gender equality and social inclusion, (2) Improving economic resilience through sustainable solutions; and (3) Advancing climate action.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for public affairs and policy leader driven by passion and principle to advance human progress in all its forms, with a focus on social justice, human rights, gender equality, feminism, environmental sustainability and economic development. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, with extensive experience in helping organizations position themselves for policy awareness, impact and relevance. With a desire to make a positive difference in the world, they combine extensive skills in media relations and communications with government relations experience. They are professionally bilingual in French and English and have a tactical mind focused on impact. They have an entrepreneurial approach to work, love a challenge, are highly self-aware and derive their energy from effective teamwork. As a superior communicator with principled opinions, they are a natural collaborator and partnership broker who will be able to work well with Cuso International’s Senior Leadership and various program teams in Canada and globally.
Reporting to and collaborating closely with the Director, Communications and Marketing, the Manager of Public Affairs and Advocacy is responsible for the following:
Public Affairs, Advocacy and Outreach
- Design innovative public affairs strategies to meet Cuso International’s organizational goals, covering areas of thought leadership, advocacy, government relations and media relations.
- Design and implement communications activities to promote Cuso International’s strategic priority areas and engage key stakeholders, including Cuso International staff, alumni, donors, volunteers, and partner organizations.
- Promote Cuso International’s strategic policy initiatives vis-à-vis key actors, including federal government, allies, civil society and the private sector.
- As appropriate, participate in sector coalitions and initiatives (ex. joint statements, events, panels, and presentations).
- Regularly monitor relevant news, policy and public affairs issues, consulting as needed with staff in Canada and globally, including the Director, Program Strategy and Innovation, and provide recommendations for strategic positioning of Cuso International in Canada and globally.
- Lead development and dissemination of materials supporting Cuso International’s public affairs objectives, including but not limited to policy briefs, position statements, speeches, research findings or program impact reports to advance strategic positioning of the organization.
- Work with Cuso International staff in Canada and globally to develop processes supporting thought leadership, advocacy, and strategic positioning.
- Provide capacity building support to staff in Canada and globally to strengthen advocacy skills and knowledge.
- Collaborate with and provides strategic support to partner organizations in Canada and globally on issues of common interest.
- Lead strategic orientation and promotion of research conducted by internal experts and/or partners.
- Work closely with external consultants (as needed) to elevate the Cuso International presence and advocacy efforts including outlining opportunities for engagement, and direct outreach.
- Secure media and visibility for Cuso International through social media, television, radio and print.
- Identify opportunities and strategies to respond to current affairs and emerging issues related to countries where Cuso International operates.
- Proactively identify compelling communications narratives and opportunities rooted in current global international development issues, aligned with Cuso International priorities and impact.
- Develop key messages, op-eds, press releases, speeches, and letters to the editor to raise Cuso International’s profile and further its mission and position in Canada and globally.
- Develop and maintain effective working relations with relevant media contacts and influencers, respond to media inquiries within portfolio, and maintain current media list in Canada and globally, where relevant.
- Foster a positive, respectful, fair and participatory work environment free from harassment, motivating team members to actively participate towards achieving Cuso International’s goals.
- Ensure Cuso International’s performance management culture and inclusive values are understood and respected, and that direct report receives adequate feedback and support to promote successful performance and high levels of employee engagement.
- Carry-out other duties as assigned by the Director, Communications and Marketing.
- Regular travel within Canada when required.
- Oversees the work of one direct report.
- University degree, or equivalent of education and experience, preferably in communications, political science and/or public affairs.
- At least ten years of related experience in communications and/or public affairs, demonstrating progressively greater levels of responsibility.
- Proven experience with media relations in Canada, in both French and English, and proven experience securing earned media through existing media networks in Canada.
- Strong experience with advocacy campaigns, policy initiatives, and government relations in the Canadian context.
- Strong familiarity with international development and/or social justice issues, such as gender equality and social inclusion, rights and participation of marginalized groups and sustainable economic development.
- Proven ability to collaborate with staff, volunteers and external partners.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Well-organized, able to work with deadlines.
- An analytical mind with attention to detail.
- Strong networking skills.
- Excellent research and analytical abilities.
- Fluently bilingual, English and French (professional level capacity in writing required in both languages), Spanish is an asset.
We’re also looking for people who share our values:
- Partnership: We believe in the power of people. We employ a people-centred approach to development and the challenge of overcoming poverty and inequality.
- Respect and integrity: We value diversity. We recognize and care about the rights and dignity of others.
- Accountability: We proactively demonstrate that we work with and on behalf of others. We seek to achieve and inspire excellence and are accountable to
How to Apply:
Cuso International is committed to creating and fostering an inclusive culture. We strive to actively celebrate diversity, advance our equitable practices, and drive greater inclusion. We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package and insurance, generous days of paid time off, including vacation and sick days, and more.
Cuso International is committed to the integrity of our volunteers, interns, staff, managers, board members and subcontractors in preventing sexual violence in the way we operate. This is done through a defined framework, code of conduct, values and guiding principles, as well as Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge.
Please click here to submit your application by March 23rd, 2023, at 11:59 PM (EST). Expressions of interest should be sent in English. Your résumé and one-page cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any desirable qualifications. Please note that a confirmation email will be generated once you submit your application, but it may be directed to your spam or junk folders of your email inbox.
Cuso International is an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations will be provided at any stages of the hiring process upon request. Thank you for your interest in Cuso International.