Migrant Outreach Worker
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Hourly Rate $25.00 – $27.00; commensurate with experience
Employment Terms: Contract Position: April – October (7 months) with possibility of extension; 20 – 25 hours per week; Probationary period – 3 months; Variable hours of work including evening and weekends.
Location: Cobourg, Ontario. (hybrid – some remote and on site; travel within vicinity
of Cobourg required)
Starting Date: Early April 2023
Horizons of Friendship is a Canadian non-profit, international development agency committed to
eliminating the root causes of poverty and injustice through the cooperation of people from the South
and the North.
Horizons of Friendship supports Central American, Caribbean and Mexican partner organizations that
undertake local initiatives, which further this goal.
In Canada, we raise awareness on global issues and work with Canadian organizations at the local and national levels to bring about positive and lasting change. As part of Horizons outreach program, this position is key to coordinate activities for migrant workers in Northumberland County.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Migrant Outreach Worker will work with the Executive Director
and other project team members in supporting and/or providing leadership for the migrant workers project for the current farming season. The staff person will work with seasonal migrant agricultural workers from Central America and Mexico who are currently working on Northumberland farms.
The Migrant Outreach Worker will carry out visits to farms to identify the target population and will assist in the design and implementation of all activities. This will include making connections with sister organizations in order to enhance outreach to the migrant workers.
Activities will aim to integrate the migrant workers into our community, provide them with learning opportunities, facilitate access to basic health and legal services, and provide them with a social network and community support during their time in Canada.
- With the Executive Director, organize and host a meeting(s) with farmers to develop relationships in order to raise awareness of the needs of migrant workers and collaborative approaches to support them – i.e., facilitating communication between workers and farm owners in order to assist in the creation of social networks.
- Help develop and distribute resources and other materials for migrant/temporary foreign workers and lead outreach efforts to connect to migrant/ temporary foreign workers in Northumberland County (requires driving)
- Help identify needs of Northumberland migrant/ temporary foreign workers such as health care, legal, translation services etc. and refer them to appropriate community resources; and/or arrange walk-in health and legal clinics for migrant workers, including the provision of translation services (Spanish to English)
- Lead outreach efforts to connect to Northumberland based organizations and groups working with migrant/temporary foreign workers, and help explore opportunities for collaboration i.e., coordinating ESL classes for workers, organizing a speaker’s series to raise awareness of migrant workers, advertising throughout the communities to encourage a welcoming environment, writing articles for posting on social media and Horizon of Friendship’s newsletter, etc.
- Organize and host social events building connections between migrant workers and the greater community. This will/may include welcoming and farewell activities, monthly Sunday brunch, celebration of key dates etc.
- Assist in the development, coordination, and delivery of outreach support to migrant workers such as welcome packages to workers when they arrive, recruiting volunteers to assist with transportation and /or interpretation supports assistance for migrant workers to access health, legal and /or social services.
- In addition to developing and maintaining partnerships with organizations providing similar supports, seek additional partnership and sponsorship opportunities from other community organizations and businesses.
- Provide insight and feedback on project deliverables by:
- Track and report work activities monthly.
- Develop an evaluation tool to measure the effectiveness of the project, including tracking assistance for events, documentation of project activities and the production of narrative and financial reports.
- Support gathering feedback from migrant/ temporary foreign workers on project priorities, deliverables (a needs assessment activity) and impact
- Attend staff and/or project meetings (in person, remote/virtual)
- Be involved in other project activities that may arise.
- Minimum one year of related work experience an asset in community engagement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish.
- Previous experience with seasonal agricultural workers an asset
- Knowledgeable of Northumberland area community resources
- Ability to engage with community stakeholders in a respectful and effective manner
- Accurate and detail-oriented with a high level of initiative; Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work independently.
- Excellent team, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong cross-cultural networking and communications skills
- Problem-solving and organizational skills
- Valid driver’s licence and access to vehicle (note: mileage is covered)
- Must be responsive via e-mail and/or phone
- Excellent computer skills including use of social media; Familiarity with MS Office and Publisher an asset
Cobourg is located approximately one hour east of Toronto, on the shore of Lake Ontario. A family community with a population of 19,000, it offers a beautiful sandy beach, quality educational opportunities and a host of recreational and cultural amenities.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to direct their applications (including cover letter and resume) to Jocelyne Paul, Interim Executive Director by Tuesday March 21, 2023, at [email protected]
For more information on Horizons of Friendship, see our website at www.horizons.ca
We wish to thank all those who respond to this posting for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Horizons of Friendship practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates