Program Officer, Canadian Program
Reporting to the Campaigns Manager, the Program Officer, Canadian Program will support the implementation of advocacy and outreach programs to advance women’s rights and gender equality in Canada.
Under the direction of the Campaigns Manager, the Program Officer, Canadian Program works with policy, campaigns, communications and program staff across Oxfam Canada, as well as civil society partners, and the Manager, to maintain effective operational and reporting relationships with funders and project stakeholders, and to deliver quality program activities on time and on budget. The Program Officer, Canadian Program may also engage with a range of stakeholders within Oxfam and externally to promote Oxfam programs, advance good practices and disseminate learnings.
Program activities may span across various projects, and change over time as programs evolve.
Currently, this position will lead the inception period and full delivery of a WAGE funded program in support of intersectional approaches to childcare advocacy in Canada. Working in alignment with our global work on paid and unpaid care, this position will work with childcare advocates, community members and other interested stakeholders to support research, networking and collective advocacy on building an inclusive approach to early learning and childcare. Activities will include workshops, seminars, coordinating stakeholders, supporting research, and public outreach with a strong focus on accessible communications materials.
The Program Officer, Canadian Program is a people’s person who enjoys making connections and building support for women’s rights and gender justice issues. They will play a lead role organizing logistics and events across various programs and work in partnership with stakeholders and communities to achieve program goals. They must also be familiar with current trends in gender justice issues, and have strong networking, advocacy and coordination skills.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
1. Advocacy and Outreach Activities
- lead the development, execution, and coordination of Canadian programming activities in collaboration with others in the project teams;
- lead strategic campaigning and outreach activities including email campaigns, petition drives, public events and speaking engagements, media stunts and social media activities and creative engagement initiatives – online and offline – as defined by project plans.
- act as a visible and dynamic ambassador for Oxfam Canada with allies, coalitions and volunteers.
- engage in organizational processes including team meetings, hiring/selection committees, working groups and committees as assigned;
- ensure effectiveness of cross-organizational linkages with other departments;
- engage in select Oxfam International groups, spaces and processes;
- maintain a current understanding of domestic and international development issues, in relation to gender justice and women’s rights, and including Canadian government policies and programs related to project portfolios.
2. Program Administration
- ensure timely submission of narrative and financial reports in accordance with contractual requirements with donors including coordinating with Canadian partners for inputs, report analysis, synthesizing of information and editing, and make use of appropriate project management documents and tools (logic models, report templates, performance measurement frameworks, budgets);
- ensure accurate project budgeting, and close monitoring of spending and progress, including reforecasting of budgets as needed and with inputs from project stakeholders and partners;
- administer contractual agreements with stakeholders, ultimate beneficiaries, partners and consultants (including reporting, liaison and accountability functions);
- monitor, both remotely and in-person, partner agreements, work plans, reports and performance for compliance with program contracts.
- Provide training and support to project partners and stakeholders on donor compliance as needed.
3. New Business Development
- contribute to the design and development of new proposals being prepared for institutional donors
- engage with project inception processes as required
4. Other related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & COMPETENCIES:
- University degree in a directly related area such as international development, political science, gender studies, environmental studies, adult education or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum three years’ experience in a community or non profit organization,
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy programming, and specifically on women’s rights and gender equality;
- Demonstrated commitment to global justice, women’s rights, gender equality and social change, as well as feminist ways of working.
- Proven track record managing programs funded by Canadian Government agencies, including knowledge of policies, practices and requirements of a range of institutional funders;
- Demonstrated skills in budget preparation, monitoring and reforecasting;
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, including demonstrated experience managing accountability/implementation processes (contract compliance including financial and narrative reporting);
- Highly developed interpersonal skills (notably facilitation skills, mobilization and organizing skills) and passion for connecting with people;
- Excellent written and spoken English, including strong analytical and report-writing abilities;
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders;
- Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail and data base systems, use of social media;
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a wide range of cultural and political settings;
- Willingness to sign and abide the Oxfam Code of Conduct.
- Ability to travel in Canada and internationally;
B. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: The following qualifications are considered significant assets:
- Professional training in gender analysis and/or project management;
- Experience in women’s economic justice programming;
- Experience in innovative approaches to monitoring and evaluation of public engagement projects;
- Experience in the documentation and dissemination of project and program learning;
- Working knowledge of French
How to Apply:
To apply for this job, visit this link.