Resource Development Officer, Major Gifts
Together we want to advance the mission of Crossroads by building a community of philanthropic supporters who will empower our ONE WORLD vision where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled. Because of your outstanding qualities in donor relationship building, your character as a Gender Equality Champion, your abilities in writing compelling storytelling and facilitating large gifts from individuals and corporations, we will together leverage knowledge, expertise, and dollars to create a just and equitable world.
Working as part of the Philanthropy and Public Engagement team, the incumbent is responsible for designing and implementing the strategy for major gifts and mid-level donors, corporate partnerships and planned giving donors, in order to support raising a minimum of $1.7M annually for Crossroads International. The ideal candidate is resourceful and creative; a true relationship builder with ability to inspire and engage. S/he will have exceptional communication, writing and editing skills and bring strong planning and organizational skills to the successful identification, cultivation, stewardship and solicitation of individual donors and prospective corporate funders.
- Develop a strategy to increase major gift revenue including effective strategies to secure long-term,multi-year engagement with new and existing individual donors and corporate partners.
- Manage a portfolio of 75 to 100 major gift and mid-level prospective donors, using a moves management approach to guide engagement with prospects from identification and cultivation stages to solicitation and stewardship stages.
- Create and implement targeted major gift solicitations, tailored impact reports and cultivation plans in coordination with team members.
- Steward donors in line with an overarching stewardship and recognition framework to communicate the impact of donations and retain donor support.
- Develop and implement creative cultivation and solicitation strategies that inspire donors and prospects to make multi-year commitments and/or stretch gifts to support Crossroads’ programming.
- Collaborate with team members to develop and plan events for donors and prospects of Crossroads. This includes engaging major gift, mid-level and planned giving prospects, as well as Crossroaders and corporate partners.
- Initiate and coordinate a corporate giving program focusing on unrestricted revenue, including researching prospects and relationship building with current and new prospects.
- Support senior staff and leadership volunteers in developing strategies and goals for executing major gifts/mid-level and corporate programs including participation in prospect management meetings and developing tailored cultivation plans.
- Identify and cultivate planned giving prospects and provide stewardship for donors who have already announced a commitment to make an estate gift.
- Effectively and accurately communicate Crossroads funding priorities that reflect the interests and investment of individual and corporate donors.
Reporting and Other Responsibilities
- Develop performance targets and measures, in consultation with the Senior Manager, Philanthropy and Public Engagement for all areas of responsibility.
- Write and support the development of briefing documents, solicitations, presentations, and follow-up communication after donor meetings and track donor interaction on the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) donor database.
- Maintain up to date and accurate donor/prospect profiles and records of contact.
- Act as a liaison and resource for other teams at Crossroads and work collaboratively with the Programs and Finance teams towards common goals.
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree (BA) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ fundraising experience with a proven track record of success in raising major gifts ($10,000 and above)
- Excellent knowledge of donor pipeline management, multiple philanthropic giving streams, individual giving strategies, employee giving, cause marketing and best practices for fundraising
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing and developing communication materials for annual fund, foundation, corporate and alumni relations
- Experience working with senior level volunteers
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and the ability to inspire confidence and trust in donors, stakeholders, and well-developed networking ability and persuasive communication style
- Demonstrated maturity, tact, integrity and diplomacy with a professional presence and manner capable of exercising independent judgment and flexibility
- Excellent organizational, research and project management skills with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work in a fast paced and results oriented environment
- Expertise in a CRM database (Raisers Edge preferred), Windows Office Suite, including PowerPoint
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and independence, but comfortable working within the framework of an integrated philanthropic and communications team
- Strong team player who values collaboration
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, with French and CFRE designation as desirable assets
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency which has been advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa for over 60 years. Crossroads invests in local partner organizations in 9 countries who are best positioned to meet the needs of their communities. With them, we pilot innovative approaches, and to empower women and girls to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year Crossroads engages hundreds of experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address poverty and inequality. The organization’s 50+ employees are based in Canada, Senegal, Ghana and Tanzania, and Crossroads’ volunteers fulfil over a 100 mandates per year.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s International cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5PM EST on August 31st, 2022, by e-mail to [email protected]. Applications must include “Resource Development Officer, Major Gifts – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.