Senior Director, Business Development
Position: Senior Director, Business Development
Reports to: CEO
Type: Full-time, permanent
Location: CAWST is based in Calgary, Alberta
Position start date: As soon as possible
Application due date: Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
The Senior Director of Business Development leads the development and execution of CAWST’s business development strategies; including existing and new markets of clients, partners, collaborators, funders and donors.
This position is responsible for developing and managing CAWST’s donor and funder pipeline and is responsible for leading, planning and organizing all aspects of business development on behalf of the organization. Success will position CAWST to influence the water, sanitation, and hygeine (WASH) sector, increase awareness amongst Canadians of CAWST and our cause, and increase donations and funding opportunities.
This is a new role at CAWST, reporting to the CEO. The position has four direct reports, with a full team of nine people:
- Senior Manager Business Development
- Senior Manager Communications, leads a team of four
- Manager Donor Initiatives with one direct report
- Manager of Strategic Partnerships & Funder Relations
CAWST has a team-based organization structure, with most staff contributing to business development.
The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all inclusive.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction by developing goals and objectives for the business development function
- Contribute to high level decision making, assisting with implementation and organization-wide strategic planning and team activities
- Initiate, lead or contribute to other initiatives that support CAWST mission, as defined by the CEO and executive team
- Develop and execute on all strategies to fulfill the mandate of this role, and identify new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Actively work with the VP of Global Services and CEO to develop and implement a comprehensive fund development strategy (i.e. corporate, foundation, government grants)
- Expand market penetration for CAWST services and create new business development opportunities through all outreach methods
- Generate & qualify leads for clients, partnerships, and collaborations to achieve impact and reach
- Generate & qualify leads for funding CAWST and partners’ work; with an emphasis on designated funding for programs and projects
- Work with the CEO and other members of the senior leadership team, to expand partnerships with major donors, WASH foundations, governmental agencies, and other organizations in order to diversify and leverage resources and fundraising
- Engage and influence the WASH sector to accelerate adoption of affordable technologies and capacity building
- Maintain & strengthen existing key relationships and build new ones with prospective donors and funders
- Partner with the marketing team to create contract-winning proposals for current and prospective donors and funders
- Negotiate contract terms and conditions for proposals and funding arrangements
- Work collaboratively with the communications team to support efforts to increase the organization’s visibility and name recognition among donors, funders and partners
- Work collaboratively with the Global Services team and staff to identify new funding opportunities by developing concepts and identifying new partnership and funding opportunities
- Manage fund development team
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities including interviewing, training, planning, performance evaluations, employee discipline and problem solving
- Manage staff and support the development of program goals and objectives, defining performance metrics, monitoring progress, reporting on results an
- Develop, maintain, and be accountable for functional budget responsibilities
- Provide timely and accurate reports to leadership and periodically to the Board of Directors
- Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience in related field
- Demonstrated achievement in fundraising
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation of group presentations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office application, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and industry specific analysis software
- Basic understanding of the industry, with the ability to become a subject matter expert on the job
- Requires high level of initiative, with limited supervision
- Primarily outward facing
- Engages and mobilizes staff from across the CAWST team
CAWST is a Canadian charity and registered engineering consultancy. We teach people how to get safe drinking water, sanitation, and hygiene in their homes, schools, and clinics, using simple, affordable technologies. To do so, we transfer knowledge and skills to organizations and individuals in low- and middle-income countries through education, training, and consulting resources and services. In turn, our clients catalyze local leaders, trainers, and change agents into taking action to meet their water, sanitation, and hygiene needs. Since 2001, CAWST’s network of clients has expanded to over 5,000 organizations worldwide across 190+ countries.
Collectively we are making a difference at a scale beyond what any of us could do individually. Together, we are helping millions of people get better water, sanitation, or hygiene.
Our vision is a world where people have the opportunity to succeed because their basic water and sanitation needs have been met.
CAWST values equitable opportunities, sustainable solutions, and collaborative and inclusive processes. We seek to grow in our knowledge of diversity and inclusion, and appreciate the learning that results from differences in cultural and religious beliefs.