Support to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance – 2016-2020

Reporting Organization:Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance
Total Budget ($CAD):$ 520,000,000
Timeframe: September 17, 2015 - December 31, 2021
Status: Implementation
Contact Information: Unspecified

Partner & Funder Profiles

Reporting Organization

Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance

Participating Organizations

Funders (Total Budget Contribution)

Return to top


Region - Total Budget Allocation

Sub-Saharan Africa - $ 329,056,000.00 (63.28%)

North Africa - $ 44,304,000.00 (8.52%)

Southeast Asia - $ 39,156,000.00 (7.53%)

South Asia - $ 32,032,000.00 (6.16%)

East Asia - $ 28,496,000.00 (5.48%)

South America - $ 20,280,000.00 (3.90%)

Central Asia - $ 17,784,000.00 (3.42%)

Central America - $ 8,840,000.00 (1.70%)

Return to top

Areas of Focus

Health - Total Budget Allocation

Infectious & Communicable Diseases (100 %)

Return to top


Gavi is an international organisation that was created in 2000 to improve access to new and underused vaccines for children living in the world’s poorest countries. Canada’s pledge to Gavi for the 2016-2020 period is a total of CAD 520 million which translates into US 409.7 million. The breakdown as follows: Canada pledged CAD 500 million to Gavi to support immunization in development countries for the period 2016-2020, more than doubling the nation’s previous total contributions. Building upon this commitment a further CAD 20 million was pledged in January 2015 and has been allocated to Gavi’s innovation accelerator, INFUSE, for Francophone Africa. This commitment makes Canada the leading donor to INFUSE- underscoring the administration’s leadership in innovation.

Canada’s support to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance will assist in the realisation of Gavi’s Strategic Plan for 2016-2020, which aims to save 5-6 million children’s lives through equitable use of vaccines in lower income countries. Approximately 80% of these funds will be provided to procure and deliver vaccines requested by countries for their national immunizations programs. The remaining 20% of funds will be provided to countries to strengthen national health systems, including increasing health worker capacity and training and strengthening of supply and cold chain systems to support immunization programs. Gavi is a global health partnership created to address global inequities in access to new and underused vaccines.

Return to top

Target Population

Gender and age: Under-5 children Newborns
Total Direct Population: Unspecified
Return to top


130,000,000 Future deaths prevented
300,000,000 Children immunised
6,000,000 Future deaths prevented
65,000,000 Children immunised
Return to top

Results & Indicators

Expected Results

Canada’s support to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance will assist in the realisation of Gavi’s Strategic Plan for 2016-2020. Full implementation of the strategy will see developing countries immunise 300 million children, saving 5–6 million lives in the long term. Coverage and equity are at the core of the strategy. Gavi’s mission is supported by four strategic goals.

(1) The vaccine goal: accelerate equitable uptake and coverage of vaccines;

(2) The systems goal: increase effectiveness and efficiency of immunisation delivery as an integrated part of strengthened health systems;

(3) The sustainability goal: improve sustainability of national immunisation programmes;

(4) The market shaping goal: shape markets for vaccines and other immunisation products.

Achieved Results

(1) Under-5 mortality rate (2016): 60 deaths per 1,000 live births

(2) Future disability-adjusted life years averted (2017): 55 million


SDG Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
  • SDG 3.2.1 Under‑5 mortality rate
Return to top
Return to top

Associated Projects (If applicable)

Return to top