Bilingual Communications Manager
Crossroads International is seeking an experienced bilingual communications professional with a passion for communications planning, as well as a love of writing and content development, to join our Philanthropy and Public Engagement team as Communications Manager. This is an outstanding opportunity to capitalize on your excellent organizational, communications, leadership, collaboration, and multi-disciplinary skills to advance the rights of women and girls in sub-Saharan Africa.
A key player in driving multidimensional marketing and communications strategies, the incumbent will lead in strategizing, planning and delivering creative, engaging and impactful content to increase brand recognition, reputation, supporter engagement and impact for Crossroads International Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP).
This includes being knowledgeable about digital trends, tools and technology to further the communication and public engagement objectives of the VCP, being responsive to current affairs and developments that could be linked to international cooperation and ensuring we deliver on media objectives. The incumbent will lead a team of a Communications Officer, a Volunteer Engagement Officer and several interns in this space and work collaboratively with the program teams, the philanthropy team, volunteers and the finance and administration team to deliver exciting cross-functional output. The incumbent will also be responsible for documenting and curating stories and finding creative ways to use storytelling as a form of advocacy and defense of human rights while maintaining ethical integrity of communications within the larger work of Crossroads.
Strategic Direction and Editorial Design
- Support the Senior Manager, Philanthropy and Public Engagement in developing and implementing Crossroads’ communication strategy for the VCP.
- Oversee and implement the creative and strategic media relations plans that contribute to brand awareness with identified audiences.
- Create original creative content that inspires mindset shift in people towards issues related to gender equality, equity, social justice and sustainability.
- In collaboration with the Volunteer Engagement Officer, develop public engagement plans for specific programs and campaigns.
- Assume responsibility for editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of Crossroads publications.
- Oversee the yearly activities and outputs for public engagement including events, eblasts, social media engagement, etc.
- Build and maintain Canadian and international networks with key allies at volunteer cooperation agencies, NGOs, the media and public.
- Nurture and develop relationships with influencers to further the objective of growing Crossroads’ movement of gender equality champions.
- Manage the public engagement and communications budget and ensure program milestones are achieved on time and within budget.
- Build a strong sense of team, and bear responsibility for the smooth functioning of the Communications advocacy and outputs.
- Delegate responsibilities and supervise the workflow of public engagement, Crossroader alumni relations, communications, graphic design, video production, and media relations by assigning job tasks, facilitating interdepartmental communications, and managing external communications.
- Maintain a clear ‘Outcomes Focused’ approach across various communications disciplines and be able to measure both efforts and results of public engagement and communications, while enhancing the organization’s image and position within the international cooperation sector.
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, college diploma or equivalent of 5 years’ experience in communications, digital marketing, or a related field
- Proven success in media outreach, marketing, branding, knowledge of marketing and advertising techniques
- Sound knowledge of mass communications via both traditional and new media; online and offline
- Strong news sense, editorial judgement and good network of media contacts
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills in both English and French
- Management experience including management of remote staff and financial management
- Experience in the international NGO sector an asset
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency advancing the rights of women and girls in some of the world’s poorest countries. We work in collaboration with local partners to create decent jobs and empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff to apply their expertise to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise, and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada’s International cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your resume and cover letter in one document (Word or PDF) before 5 pm on August 30th, 2022 by e-mail to [email protected]. Applications must include “Communications Manager – Your Name” in the subject line of the email. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.