Equitas is seeking a highly motivated Programs Manager with a passion for human rights, equality and inclusion, experience coordinating annual planning and monitoring processes, and a track record of managing complex projects. Under the responsibility of the Director of Programs, the Programs Manager is responsible for Equitas’ overall project management function, providing leadership for Equitas’ project management processes to ensure the consistency and efficiency of Equitas’ project delivery. They chair the Programs Steering Committee and provide leadership in coordinating, supporting, and monitoring the everyday work of Equitas’ program/project teams, committees and operational teams in order to ensure that teams realize their planned outcomes and activities on time and within budget, in particular for the Advancing Equality through Human Rights Education program. They also support the organization in the implementation of change management processes (such as the implementation of a new programs governance model). During transition periods, they play a key role in coaching and supporting program and project teams.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead the design and effective implementation of common project management processes, standards and tools to drive and facilitate the successful delivery of projects.
- Provide guidance to project and program teams with respect to problem solving, managing risks and variances in program delivery and partnerships that affect time scope and budget, and develops contingency plans.
- Foster collaborative and mutually supportive relationships with project leaders and senior stakeholders, assess cross-functional project teams (can support creating and maintaining cohesion within teams, including managing conflict).
- Provide support to project and program teams with respect to project design and proposal development, in particular in budgeting.
- Lead the documentation and implementation of good practices connected to program/project management.
- Chair the Programs Steering Committee at Equitas: lead the integration of the governance, reporting and monitoring framework to provide a holistic view of all organizational project activity.
- Define strategies and organizational policies to enable the strategic coordination of multiple projects and initiatives to improve efficiency and effectiveness of projects.
- Ensure that information relating to project deliverables, risks and issues are effectively communicated between stakeholders across programs and that key performance indicators are monitored and evaluated
- Support the overall management of the AEHRE program, notably on the contractual management with Global Affairs Canada, as well as the development of AEHRE program planning
- Develop, promote, and maintain standards and tools for program and project management, with the goal of delivering the program on time, within budget and within scope.
- Provide direction, coaching and support for the staff under their responsibility (6 direct reports).
- Support allocation of human resources for project teams and committees in consultation with the Programs Steering Committee.
- Coordinate the annual planning process for Equitas in close consultation with the Management Team.
- Oversee the work of and participate in the security committee of Equitas.
- Support the organization in change management processes (ex: programs governance model, implementation of new tools or systems).
- Participation in the Cooperation Canada CFO working group, in close collaboration with the Director of Finance.
You are passionate about human rights and social justice. You are motivated by and have strong commitment to Equitas’ mission, vision, and values. You are motivated by challenges and you are committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and reflective of the diversity in the Equitas community. You have a proven track record managing projects with large funding organizations, such as Global Affairs Canada. You have proven analytical skills and ability to think and act strategically. You have excellent inter‐personal and communication skills: communication, tact, negotiation, and diplomacy.
What is essential for role
- Eligibility to work in Canada and be based in Montreal.
- Proven ability to solve problems;
- Proven leadership skills and experience in motivating and managing teams and supervising/coaching staff;
- A minimum of 7-years project and financial management experience in the international development sector;
- Ability to lead change (of systems, processes, or ways of working) at an organizational level;
- Excellent management skills, including organizational and financial management skills;
- Experience in working in a cross-cultural setting and with overseas partners;
- Ability to communicate orally, and read and understand documents, in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); and excellent writing skills in at least one of them;
- Someone who will bring, enthusiasm, dynamism and innovation to Equitas’;
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
What is an asset to the role
- Proficiency in the use of computers, including word processing, database, budgeting tools and project management tools is a strong asset;
- Ability to travel in Canada and overseas once a year;
- Skills in any languages in addition to English and French.
What we offer
- We offer the chance to be a part of and make up a diverse and engaged team who are all meaningfully contributing to positive social change in Canada and around the world in their own way.
- We value self-care, inclusion and empathy towards all team members and place a strong emphasis on work-life balance. In addition to vacation time, we offer 2 weeks off over the winter holidays.
- We’re all about learning and offer all employees the opportunity to participate in Learning Committees based on their interests and participate in a workplace culture that is constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate.
- We have a centrally located office with a beautiful view of Mont-Royal (although we’re currently operating remotely).
- We believe in trust and openness and offer a ﬂexible work environment.
- We believe in creating space for everyone to lead and offer opportunities within our governance structure to allow for individuals in all roles to take on opportunities for leadership.
- We offer a comprehensive beneﬁts package which includes a competitive salary for the NGO sector, 3 weeks paid vacation (4 weeks after 3 years), paid personal days, medical, dental and life insurance, a group RRSP and much more!
Given the nature of our work, Equitas strongly encourages applications from any candidates who have experienced marginalization, in particular, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, LGBTQ2I people, and people living with disabilities. Candidates who wish to do so may self-identify in their application.
At Equitas, we do not tolerate harassment, discrimination, violence, or abuse of any form. All employment offers are conditional of the signing of Equitas’ Human Resources Policy, our Policy on Preventing Sexual Violence, Harassment and Discrimination and satisfactory references.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply:
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Programs Manager
in the subject line by September 6, 2021